Home ARTICLES E3 2020 Is Officially Canceled Due To Coronavirus Concerns
E3 2020 Is Officially Canceled Due To Coronavirus Concerns

E3 2020 Is Officially Canceled Due To Coronavirus Concerns

10
0

E3 2020 has officially been canceled and will not take place this June as previously scheduled. The ESA, which is responsible for putting on the annual convention, shared the news today following several reports, including GameSpot’s, that such an announcement was imminent. In its place, companies like Xbox and Ubisoft are already making plans to hold digital events, although details and dates are still sparse.

“After careful consultation with our member companies regarding the health and safety of everyone in our industry–our fans, our employees, our exhibitors and our longtime E3 partners–we have made the difficult decision to cancel E3 2020, scheduled for June 9-11 in Los Angeles,” the ESA said in a statement.

“Following increased and overwhelming concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented global situation. We are very disappointed that we are unable to hold this event for our fans and supporters. But we know it’s the right decision based on the information we have today.”

The ESA went on to say it would be in touch with both exhibitors and attendees regarding “full refunds.” Additionally, it says it is “exploring options with our members to coordinate an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020.” No further details have been shared on that front as of yet, but it did also confirm that plans for E3 2021 will move ahead “as a reimagined event that brings fans, media and the industry together in a showcase that celebrates the global video game industry.”

Xbox, Ubisoft, and Limited Run Games have confirmed plans to either explore or host their own digital events. Limited Run will still host a press conference on June 8 as previously scheduled, while Nintendo has responded but not confirmed any specific plans. We’ll be rounding up companies’ reactions to E3’s cancelation and what they intend to do as more information is shared.

Original Story: E3 2020 will no longer go ahead, multiple sources have told GameSpot. Rumors swirled today that the consumer and trade show would soon be officially canceled amidst dwindling support from video game publishers and platform holders, as well as ongoing safety concerns due to coronavirus. Several sources have confirmed the news to GameSpot, but the ESA has still not officially announced the cancellation.

The first rumblings came from a tweet made by publisher Devolver Digital that encouraged people to cancel their E3 plans, flights, and accommodation. Since then, Ars Technica also published a report stating the cancellation is imminent. Speaking to GameSpot, multiple sources with knowledge on the matter have also indicated this to be the case.

This would mark the first time the annual event skipped a year. GameSpot has reached out to the ESA for an official statement.

This is the latest in a long line of major global events cancelled over concerns relating to COVID-19 (coronavirus). GDC 2020 was postponed, while other cancelled events include SXSW and Emerald City Comic Con. As of March 6, there were still plans to continue with E3 2020, but that has since changed.

Even before it became clear that the coronavirus was likely to lead to the event’s cancellation, E3 2020 looked to be in bad shape. PlayStation was not planning on attending, Geoff Keighley had dropped out of hosting the E3 Colosseum, and iam8bit had stepped away from its creative director position.

Here are lists of every publisher that was attending E3 2020. The cancellation of E3 2020 will have a major impact on how these companies announce and market their games.

We’ll continue to update with more details–including how announcements scheduled for E3 will be delivered–as they become available.

(10)